There are many different clubs and extracurricular activities that a high schooler can participate in. The majority of these clubs, a student can start to participate in or prepare for by the time they are around the age of eight or younger. This can simply be like going to younger girls/boys basketball practice or drawing or just doing some service projects. For those who plan on being Sterling Scholars, every little project or skill is important to showcase.
To be a Sterling Scholar is something to be proud of. Not only do you get to represent the school that you attend, but you have the opportunity to get a scholarship and open more doors for after graduation. There are 15 categories that one can choose from to participate in. These categories are: Agriculture Science, Business and Marketing, Computer Information and Technology, Dance, English, Family and Consumer Sciences, World Languages, General Scholarship, Mathematics, Music, Science, Social Science, Speech and Drama, Trade and Technical, and Visual Arts. All these categories are set up for students to show off their specific skill and love. Moreover, Sterling Scholar allows each student to shine and compete against the best of the best in their respective region.
Utah is divided into five regions: Wasatch Front, Southwest, Southeast, Northeast and Central. Out of UHSAA Region 20, Piute and Wayne high schools competed under the Central region. Bryce Valley, Escalante, Milford, Panguitch and Water Canyon high schools were under the Southwest region.
The Southwest region competed on March 30. The Central region had their competition on Monday March 20.
The Central region competition was hosted at the Snow College Campus in Ephraim. Students inside of the Central region boundaries were interviewed individually by judges in their respective categories. Before heading to the competition each Sterling Scholar representative had to make a portfolio showcasing charity under leadership, community service, and category/awards. They also showed a five-point bulleted list of awards or accomplishments under leadership, community service and category. The next step was to write one 500-word essay for each of those classifications. Once the added score of both the portfolio and the interviews were added up, it was time to announce the overall Sterling Scholars and see who would compete at the state competition.
Being one of Piute High Schools Sterling Scholars I had to participate in each of these steps. Participating in the Sterling Scholar program gave me a chance to see all the good works I have done throughout the years. I noticed how even the little things in my life made a huge impact for the people in my community.
The were the Central Region winners:
- The Agriculture Science 2023 Sterling Scholar is Jenessa Walgren from Delta High School.
- The Central Region Business and Marketing 2023 Sterling Scholar is Jaedon Bassett from Millard High School.
- The Central Region Computer Information and Technology 2023 Sterling Scholar is Tallon Taylor from Delta High School.
- The Central Region Dance 2023 Sterling Scholar is Kilyn Jacobson from Delta High School.
- The Central Region English 2023 Sterling Scholar is Michael Larsen from North Sanpete High School.
- The Central Region Family and Consumer Sciences 2023 Sterling Scholar is Hope Shelley from North Sanpete High School.
- The Central Region World Languages 2023 Sterling Scholar is Naylea Barrera from Delta High School.
- The Central Region General Scholarship 2023 Sterling Scholar is Quenna Yuan from Juab High School.
- The Central Region Mathematics 2023 Sterling Scholar is James Willden from Gunnison Valley High School.
- The Central Region Music 2023 Sterling Scholar is Makenzy Hildebrand from Delta High School.
- The Central Region Science 2023 Sterling Scholar is Wyatt Manygoats from Richfield High School.
- The Central Region Social Science 2023 Sterling Scholar is Phaedra Lamb from North Sanpete High School.
- The Central Speech and Drama 2023 Sterling Scholar is Adrianna Dearden from North Sevier High School.
- The Central Region Visual Arts 2023 Sterling Scholar is Vashti Coray from Juab High School.
- The Central Region Trade and Technical 2023 Sterling Scholar is Khyber Lee from Richfield High School.
Congratulations to all Sterling Scholars! The world thanks those who participated and for helping make a small, but great step towards a better future.
– by Ari Hurdsman (18) Junction
Feature image caption: The Piute High School Sterling Scholars. Courtesy ksl.
Ari Hurdsman – Junction
Ari Hurdsman is a junior journalist at the Byway. She just recently moved to Ephraim, Utah, where she is a freshman at Snow College. She enjoys writing about Piute sports, and she’s really good at it! In her free time, she enjoys singing, dancing, reading and hanging out with friends and family.